Low back pain, sports injuries, arthritis – all well-known issues that physical therapists are known to treat. However, there are unexpected ways a physical therapist (PT) can improve a person’s health, ranging from dizziness to cancer treatment side effects.
1. Dizziness: There is a severe type of dizziness called vertigo that causes a sudden spinning sensation. In most cases, this is caused by an inner ear problem, and can often be eliminated using exercised based therapy that helps regain a sense of balance and is used to relieve dizziness and symptoms of concussions.
2. Concussion: Often times what seems to be a minor bump to the head from a fall or even heading the ball in soccer can cause a concussion. This results in the brain being jarred from the impact. This sometimes leads to long-lasting health effects such as sleep problems, depression or memory loss. PT’s can help the brain recover through a management plan that includes evaluation, treatment and continual monitoring of the patient.
3. Jaw Pain: Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, commonly known as TMJ. This is often noticed as a loud clicking or popping in the jaw joint when talking or eating. A PT will often help correct poor posture (yes proper posture is important while eating), offer exercises to reduce the pain and provide treatments to help improve the alignment of the joint and increase mobility.
4. Headaches: Stop and/or reduce the pill popping. Physical therapy can address most of the common causes of headaches which are poor posture, stress, muscle tightness and neck injury. Treatments range from exercises that loosen muscles to massages.
5. Cancer-related discomfort: A common side effect of treatments are swelling of the arms or legs, which occurs after lymph nodes are removed. This is especially common in breast cancer patients. A PT can help alleviate discomfort using massage, wrapping techniques and designing individual safe exercise programs.
Columbus Physical Therapy provides complimentary consultations to help people with these and other health problems decide the appropriate next steps toward a Feel Good Life. Visit www.columbusphysicaltherapy.com to see all of the many services that we offer and conditions that we treat. You will also be able to find more information on our physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. We can help get you relief.